Polymer materials and components manufacturer Covestro (Leverkusen, Germany) was recently honored by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (Ohio EPA) with the prestigious E3 (Encouraging Environmental Excellence) Silver Award.
The E3 Award program recognizes organizations for activities that reduce environmental impact and conserve natural resources, all while resulting in long-term economic success. Through the program, the Ohio EPA aims to evaluate environmental excellence across 15 categories. This includes topics such as pollution prevention, lifecycle assessments, and sustainable materials and purchasing.
In 2020, Covestro established a new vision to become fully circular. Two years later, in 2022, the company set ambitious goal to achieve climate neutrality by 2035. According to the company, it has since shown tangible results and long-term commitment across many categories.
Among its many achievements, Covestro says its site in Newark, Ohio, USA, has done the following:
- Against a 2019 baseline, reduced absolute CO2 emissions;
- Against a 2019 baseline, increased the recycling of industrial materials from 45% to 57%;
- Against a 2019 baseline, reduced the amount of water used annually by more than 4 million gallons (15.1 million L);
- Implemented Operation Clean Sweep Blue, a program designed to prevent plastic pellet loss into the environment;
- Actively contributed to numerous community programs, including Adopt A Highway, United Way, Red Cross, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, and more.
“Winning the Ohio EPA E3 Award reinforces the fact that our sustainability measures are making a real impact,” says Rich Rogers, site manager in Newark. “Our entire workforce understands that to achieve Covestro’s mission to make the world a brighter place, we need to put sustainability at the center of our business. We are committed to continuing our work to improve the community that we call home.”
To learn more about Covestro’s commitment to sustainability and its vision to become fully circular, visit www.covestro.com/sustainability.